Currently there is no vaccine to prevent the Wuhan virus, also called the Coronavirus. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid exposure. However the Centers for Disease Control makes the following recommendations to prevent spread of respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Avoid people who are sick, and stay home if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wear gloves when out and about to avoid touching contaminated surfaces.
What about face masks? Regular surgical face masks do not prevent Coronavirus. There is a specialized mask known as a N95 respirator that does protect against infection, but it is not recommended for public use at this point.