Movember is an Annual event to raise awareness of men’s health issues. Many men do not go to the doctor for routine evaluations, and wait until a problem becomes unbearable before getting seen.
Movember was named to combine the words for “Moustache” and “November”–> Movember. There is a Movember Foundation charity that raises money for men’s health issues such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men’s mental health. Many men grow mustaches to draw awareness to Movember.
What are screening tests that men need?
- Colon or rectal cancer screening starting age 50 (or earlier if risk factors or a family history)
- Prostate cancer screening starting age 50
- Blood pressure screenings starting age 20
- Diabetes screening (A1C) starting age 45 (or younger if risk factors)
It is also important for men to keep up with their immunizations:
- Yearly flu shot
- Shingles age 50 (or younger if immune system problems or chronic health conditions)
- Pneumovax age 65 (or younger if immune system problems or chronic health conditons)
- Tetanus boosters