Most of us were brought up eating iceberg lettuce salads. But how healthy is iceberg lettuce? While all lettuce is low calorie, iceberg lettuce actually has almost no nutritional value. Here are the healthiest types of lettuce to eat by rank:
1. Kale has vitamins A, C, and K, folate, protein and fiber. Kale has 33 calories per cup.
2. Spinach leaves have Vitamins B, C, K, potassium, iron, calcium, and folic acid. Spinach has 7 calories per cup.
3. Romaine lettuce has 80%of the vitamin A needed by the body in a day, and has vitamin K, C, folate, manganese, and fiber. Romaine has 8 calories per cup.
4. Butter lettuce has vitamins A, C, D, E, K, B, folate, iron, and riboflavin. Butter lettuce has 7 calories per cup.
5. Chard lettuce has vitamins A, C, E, and contains calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Chard has 7 calories per cup.
6. Endive has vitamins C, E, folate, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and iron. Endive has 7 calories per cup.
7. Leaf lettuce contains vitamins A, C, B, and has iron, calcium, and magnesium. Leaf lettuce has 8 calories per cup.
8. Watercress contains vitamins A, C, B, D, and contains calcium, iron, and magnesium. Watercress has 5 calories per cup.
9. Radicchio lettuce contains vitamin K, copper, and folate. Radicchio has 9 calories per cup.
10. Iceberg lettuce contains contains a very small amount of vitamin A, C, and iron. It has trace amounts of potassium, folate, vitamin K, magnesium, and phosphorus. Iceberg has 10 calories per cup.