If you were near someone who had a cardiac arrest, could you use an AED? Anyone can use them, they do not require special training!
AEDs are now in many public buildings, such as airports and schools.
What do you do?
- Be sure someone is calling 911.
- Turn on the AED and follow the prompts.
- Open the victim’s shirt.
- Attach the AED pads as the machine will instruct you.
- Make sure no one is touching the patient (“Clear!”)
- Push the analyze button (some machines do that automatically).
- If the machine says to shock the patient, yell “Clear” again, and push the shock button.
- Begin CPR.
Here is a great video on how to use an AED: